History of The Seward Peninsula
It all started with the Discovery of Gold…
In July of 1898 gold was discovered at Anvil Creek 2.5 Miles Northwest of Nome; soon news spread as thousand of miners flocked to nome the fallowing summer to make their fortune. The population grew rapidly increasing from 10,000 in 1899 to over 20,000 by the end of 1900.
The Seward Peninsula was transformed from barren land scape to an industrialized town rapidly. Charles D. Lane, a miner from California, invested heavily in the infrastructure needed for mining. His investments included the Wild Goose Railroad Company that connected Nome to Dexter along with the Miocene Ditch Company.